Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Arroz a la Cubana Re-invented #pff style

Arroz a la Cubana was  one of my favorite dishes growing up as a child in the Philippines.  Like most Filipino dishes, there are many versions and variations to this dish but in my home, ground beef was always the base and it was always served with steamed white rice, fried plantains and topped with a fried egg.  To stay true to my #pff lifestyle and to make whole30 compliant, these are the substitutions I made...

Cauliflower rice in place of regular steamed rice
Grass Fed and organic ground beef for regular beef
Coconut and or avocado oil for frying and sautéing
Organic and free range eggs
I make sure that the tomato paste and the raisins have no added sugar in the ingredients



I've had many requests for my  recipe since posting this on FB.  I don't follow one so here is my best recollection of how I made this (last night). Here it is...my #pff arroz a al Cubana.

Ingredients:
2 lbs grass fed and organic ground beef
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 small red bell pepper, diced
1 large sweet potato, diced
1 Tbsp coconut oil
4 Tbsp no sugar added tomato paste
1/2  cup no sugar added beef broth
1/2 cup no sugar added golden raisins
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.  Add 1 Tbsp coconut oil and swirl to coat pan.  Add the onions, crushed red pepper and a pinch of salt  to the pan and sauté for about 3 min .  Add the garlic and stir for 30 sec until fragrant.

Add the sweet potatoes and red bell pepper, sauté for about 5 min.  Add the tomato paste and stir to combine for about 2 min. 

Crumble the ground beef into the pan with your hands or wooden spoon and saute until the beef and the sweet potatoes are cooked through.   Add the raisins and the beef broth. Simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated but not dry.  Salt and  pepper to taste.

*If Serving with Fried Plantains:
Peel and slice 2 ripe plantains to 1/8 of an inch thick
Heat a non - stick pan with about 1 cup avocado oil
Fry plantains until golden brown on both sides

*For Cauliflower Rice:
Here are a couple of cauliflower rice recipes to peruse.  You can find many on Goolge.
http://ohmyveggies.com/how-to-make-cauliflower-rice/
http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1626071845/another-simpler-version-of-cauliflower-rice

*Top with a perfectly cooked sunny side up if you desire. 
Enjoy!  It's breakfast meets dinner!

*Please leave a comment and let me know what you think of this recipe.

*I actually added minced celery to this recipe as I had some that needed to be used - it did not take away from the flavor but I typically don't add celery when I make this.


No comments:

Post a Comment