Sunday, June 15, 2014

Caramelized Coconut Chips is the New Pocorn

Anyone who knows me well knows I LOVE POPCORN especially those supposedly "skinny" ones with only 35 calories per cup that are popping up in grocery stores - Boom Chika Pop, Popcorn Indiana etc…They have become my go-to salty and the kettle corn for the salty/sweet snack.  I mean, who does not love popcorn!  Obviously not on the paleo approved menu, I was certainly missing my favorite "junk food" if you will - until I tried the Caramelized Coconut Chips from the Well Fed cookbook.  Popcorn be damned!  I've now found a whole30 endorsed alternative that more than satisfies my craving for that salty crunch.

No they do not taste like popcorn but these cinnamon-caramelized coconut chips come very close to the experience: the saltiness, the mild sweetness and that ever-so-satisfying crunch.  I can live with that!


Ingredients:
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (I buy mine at whole foods)

Directions:
Mix the salt and the cinnamon in a small bowl with a fork
Heat a non-stick skillet over medium high heat - about 2 min
Add the coconut flakes and distribute evenly so they form a single layer in the pan
Stir frequently as they begin to brown rather quickly so Pay Attention - about 3 min
When the flakes take on that caramel color, remove pan from heat
Sprinkle the hot coconut flakes with the salty cinnamon and toss until evenly seasoned
Transfer to a plate and allow to cool in a single layer to achieve maximum crunch


Now sit in front of the tele, watch whatever your guilty pleasure is and enjoy this #pff snack!  May be stored at room temperature in an airtight container - if they last that long.

Here's what I will do next time:
For an Indian flair -  add 1/4 tsp of curry
For an Asian flair -   omit the cinnamon and add 1/4 tsp Chinese Five Spice
For Garlicky - omit the cinnamon and add 1/4 tsp granulated garlic powder

No comments:

Post a Comment